Instagram is one of the world’s most popular social media platforms. Launched in 2010, Instagram has grown considerably over the past decade. Statistics show the platform is home to over one billion monthly active users. It’s also the fourth-most popular social media platform, trailing only Facebook, WhatsApp, and YouTube.
Instagram became prominent as a platform where people could document their daily lives and share curated images with friends and family members. However, the platform’s astronomical rise has also made it essential for businesses looking to reach their target audience.
There’s no denying that Instagram is highly valuable because it already hosts over one billion people, which means the audience is built-in. But reaching your target audience is challenging, and that’s where paid Instagram ads enter the mix.
Research shows that 27% of users state they find new products and brands through paid social media adverts, and few platforms are as effective as Instagram for reaching a new audience. Data shows that Instagram ads can reach up to 20 percent of the world’s population over age 13.
As a result, it’s not surprising that many businesses and marketers want to create social media ads for Instagram. However, you’ll need to use Instagram’s paid ads manager to create ads that reach your target audience.
What are Instagram Ads?
Instagram ads are similar to Facebook ads. You can advertise on Instagram through the platform’s newsfeed, Stories, and Reels.
The costs for running Instagram ads can vary based on several factors, including your target audience, industry, the time of the year, and placement. Some industries are more competitive than others, meaning you’ll have to pay more to run ads. Similarly, it’s also important to note that some times of the year are more expensive than others. For instance, ad costs skyrocket during the last quarter of the year. This period is particularly expensive because of the holiday season.
In addition, the type of ad you choose will also impact your advertisement costs.
Types of Instagram Ads
Numerous types of Instagram advertisements exist, including the following:
- Image advertisements: These ads appear as users scroll through their newsfeeds and show the sponsored tag under your brand’s name.
- Stories ads: These advertisements reach over 500 million active daily users. They’re displayed when users are viewing a story.
- Video ads: Videos are effective because they provide more information about a product or service. They’re displayed in the newsfeed.
- Carousel ads: These display images and videos together. Users can swipe on the images or videos to see the various products or services. Instagram currently allows ten pictures per carousel ad.
- Collection ads: E-commerce brands in particular benefit from collection ads because they contain links to a brand’s product. As a result, they’re effective in redirecting users to make purchases.
- Explore ads: These appear under Instagram’s explore tab. Research shows approximately 50% of Instagram users use the explore tab monthly. We promise it’s for more than cute cat videos – not that there’s anything wrong with those.
- IGTV ads: These ads are 15 seconds long and can be viewed in full-screen format.
- Shopping ads: These ads redirect users to your business’s catalog on the platform. It’s important to note you’ll need to create a business catalog on Instagram before you can create shopping ads.
- Reels ads: Reels are Instagram’s latest addition arriving in 2020. The feature was devised to compete with YouTube Shorts and TikTok and has become extremely popular.. These ads must be 30 seconds long.
How to Get Started with Instagram’s Paid Ads Manager
Getting started with Instagram’s paid ads manager is straightforward. You don’t necessarily need an Instagram account if you already have an operational Facebook page. However, you’ll need to link your Facebook page to your business’s Instagram account, if you already have one.
Once you’ve created an account with the Ads manager, you’ll be asked to select your objective. This allows you to choose your brand’s marketing objective from several options, including traffic, engagement, lead generation, conversions, or brand awareness.
Define your target audience. The ads manager allows you to choose between a broad and specific audience approach. This section also lets you select customized locations and demographics and link accounts that match your ideal buyer persona in the ads manager. Instagram will use these profiles to target similar people for your ads.
Once you’ve defined your marketing objective and target audience, you’ll need to select your ad placements. As previously mentioned, Instagram has various types of ads you can run. Instagram recommends selecting automatic placements because it lets the platform optimize placements for your business, generating optimized results at the lowest average cost.
After selecting ad placements, you’ll set a budget and schedule. The budget refers to the amount you’re willing to spend on ads over a given period. On the flip side, schedule refers to how long and how often you want the ads to appear.
The ads manager will ask you to select your ad format immediately after. If you’re advertising on Instagram’s newsfeed, you can select the photo, video, carousel, and slideshow formats. If you’re advertising on Instagram Stories can only choose between a single image or video.
Similarly, Meta has an offline conversion measurement tool that allows businesses to track conversions from people who saw or engaged with their Facebook or Instagram advertisement. You can learn more about Meta’s offline tracking tool by visiting this link.
Get Started with Dekaf Digital
Social media advertising is fiercely competitive as brands vie to reach their target audience. Getting assistance from a proven social media marketing agency as prominent as Dekaf Digital will help.
We’re a minority and woman-owned agency specializing in providing innovative and data-driven solutions to businesses to bridge the gap between them and their consumers. In addition to our digital marketing services, we offer pay-per-click management and landing page design services.
Check out our website for more information. Alternatively, contact us to get started.